Friday, August 2, 2013

Mixing it Up!

 
 Lately I've been getting pretty bored with morning walks + 5K training after work. It was time to mix things up! (Although, it's hard to really get bored with morning walks when you catch an amazing sunrise now and again!)
This week I made my best effort to mix things up!
This week RJ & I substituted our running for biking! I brought my little single speed cruiser to campus, ready for a leisurely ride, but of course RJ went all out - gloves and all.
He kept his bike in a pretty tough gear and we had a really great ride! We road to Wash Park and made a few laps before heading back. Yesterday, we recruited two more coworkers/friends and went on a longer ride. I did discover, however, that I need a bigger helmet. I have the "Olson head," which is not small by any means. I don't know why I thought a women's regular-sized helmet would fit, but hey.


 
I also took the BodyPump class at my gym twice this week. I've taken it a few times before, but now I'd really like to stick to a schedule and go regularly. Last time I took it, I was living with Marie and I think I pulled both of my bicep muscles, so I tied scarves like slings, because I couldn't straighten my arms.
I've learned since then and I have full function of my arms this time around!
 
 
I was at Wal-Mart this week and saw these wild workout pants for under $10. I have been known to tell Beth stories via text, but then get lazy, and leave out big and important parts of the story, leaving her scratching her head....so with that being said, I text Beth this picture because I couldn't decide if I thought these were hideous or cute; however, I failed to mention that they were for working out....not work. Beth humored me mostly - I can't imagine what she was thinking - but once she caught on that I wouldn't wear these to work, everything made sense. I ended up buying them. I still am undecided if they're ugly, but I think I like them and they definitely fit my "mixing it up" criteria.
 
 
I know too little about bikes to buy one on my own, but with the help of a few bike experts - Karley, Rich & RJ, I think I made a good buy yesterday! I've been wanting something with gears for awhile, but just never made the leap.
I found this used Schwinn on Craigslist and RJ went with me to look at it. It's in really good condition and the price was righter than right. RJ was able to talk her down, which is just something I cannot do! Rich is going to fix up the brakes for me and I'll be ready to kick up those bike rides.
The previous owner named it Mario and I think he'll have to stay a Mario!



 

3 comments:

  1. 1. I am so proud of how active you are... I am envious!
    2. Body Pump was so hard. How you did it twice in 1 week BLOWS MY MIND. (see 1.)
    3. I love those work out pants, I want!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, thanks! That is so nice of you to say! You'd definitely rock those pants! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you riding that bike in the road? Mary........

    ReplyDelete